Church building with several different halls and rooms for hire. Parking opposite in Sainsbury's car park or in town centre car park (both paid until 6-30pm)
St George's Church, Esher is a Grade I listed Anglican church in Esher, Surrey, England. Built in the 16th century, it was Esher's parish church for 300 years, though later worshippers included Queen Victoria.
Supported by The Friends of St George's, the building is used as an Arts Centre, rehearsal and meeting venue. The church hosts private concerts and performing arts events, rehearsals, and self-organised exhibitions.
Location: behind The Bear Inn at the A244 Leatherhead turn off from the High Street
Esher Park Avenue
Burpham Church has two churches, Church of The Holy Spirit and St Luke's.
The Church Office is located at The Church of The Holy Spirit
There is disabled parking, toilet and level access at Church of Holy Spirit.
There is a loop system in both churches.
The Church Community Centre is located at The Church of The Holy Spirit (CHS) in New Inn Lane is a large, modern hall that can be hired for private functions and events.
This has been a place of worship since 1190. The spire, built between 1213 and 1300, is an excellent example of a brooch spire. It was covered with cedar shingles, but in 2000, these had to be replaced and handmade oak shakes were used. There are several brass plaques in the chancel dating from 1412, excellent for those who seek to take brass rubbings.
The church is Norman, most being 12th, 13th and 14th century, of ironstone rubble with sandstone buttresses, restored in 1895 by S. Weatherley. By the north chancel wall there is a 14th century quatrefoil window and squint – belonging to Anchorite Cell. There is 14th century glass in the east window and the chancel fittings were renewed in 1956 by Louis Osman.
An intriguing aspect of St. James’ Church, is The Anchoress of Shere. Christine Carpenter, in 1329 made a solemn promise to devote her life to God and live in a holy place. On 14th August 1329, the Bishop of Winchester gave permission for her to be enclosed in a cell which was built in the North wall of the chancel. Food and drink was given to her through a grating on the outside wall. On the inside of the church can be seen the Quatrefoil through which she received the bread and wine of communion. Through the squint window, she could see the altar. Not surprisingly, after three years, she decided to leave her cell, but for reasons unknown, it is recorded that on 10th November 1332, the Bishop of Winchester agreed to her request to be returned to the cell so “she may be enabled to achieve her salvation”. William Carpenter, her father, it is believed, lived where the Willow and Ash Cottages now stand in Lower Street. These were built about 1475.
The Lych Gate was designed in 1902 by the architect, Edwin Lutyens, who later became Sir Edwin Lutyens and designed the Cenotaph in Whitehall, London. He designed various buildings in Shere for the Bray family, who have been Lords of the Manor of Shere since 1487. These include The Manor House Lodge and Western Cottages in Upper Street and the building in Middle Street, now used as the Tea Room. (Thanks Tristan!)
The attractive nature of our villages means it is often used for TV/Film location filming, notably The Holiday and Bridget Jones’ Diary.
The Square, Shere,
Tel: 01483 202394
The church dates back to Norman times, with extensive development during the 19th Century in particular. It is of a style common of many Surrey churches.
Church Street, Cobham
St. Mary's Church is a very friendly, welcoming church at the heart of the village of Horsell.
The first stone chapel on this site was probably built about the middle of the 12th century. Parts of the present west wall of the nave may be from this building. Rebuilding took place early in the 14th century, from which date parts of the nave roof survive. By the end of the century the church consisted of nave, chancel and west tower, the south aisle being added in the 15th century, with an unusual roof construction. This aisle is built mainly of carstone, the tower of flint, clunch and heathstone. Towards the end of the 18th century the chancel was rebuilt in brick.
Extensive restoration took place in the 19th century, the "handsome Gothic screen" being removed in 1840, the brick chancel replaced and the nave and south aisle extended eastwards in 1890. In 1909 the north aisle and vestries were added, the Holy Trinity Chapel in 1910 and the baptistery in 1921. All these later extensions are built in Bargate stone.
The church is entered from the tower through the Medieval doors, still in place. They are of oak and retain original hinges, latches and ironwork.
In the clergy vestry are a number of photographs and sketches. One dated 1814 depicts the font removed in 1829, which was possibly of late Norman date.
Tel: 01483 772134
The church was built in the 1920s, with money raised by fundraising, to the Glory of God and as a memorial in remembrance of soldiers of the Church of Scotland and kindred churches who lost their lives in the First World War. Within the church building there are a number of individual memorials.
St Andrew’s Garrison Church is located about a mile north of Aldershot town centre. It is slightly to the north of the Catholic church, the other large church located on Queens Avenue, Aldershot. There is car parking next to St Andrew’s, on both the north and south sides of the church.
Tel: 01252 328581
Cathedral Church of St Michael and St George serves as the Roman Catholic cathedral for the Bishopric of the Forces. Located on Queens Avenue in Aldershot, England, the building was originally intended to be the principal church for the Anglican chaplaincies of the British Army but since 1973 it has been the seat of the Roman Catholic Bishop of the Forces.
St Michael's House, 19 Queens Avenue
Tel: 01252 329684